Quitting smoking is a challenging journey, but with the right tools and support, it’s absolutely achievable. Imagine a future where you’re free from the grip of cigarettes and enjoying a healthier, smoke-free life. That’s where Pavlok comes in.
Our breakthrough device combines cutting-edge technology with behavioral science to help you break the chains of smoking addiction in just five days.
In this blog post, we’ll walk you through a step-by-step plan on how to quit smoking using Pavlok, empowering you to take control of your health and leave smoking behind for good.
Understanding the Urge to Smoke
Sure, you can convince yourself that this is the last time you’ll ever smoke a cigarette, and you might really believe it, too – but when you’re faced with something as simple as finishing a meal or having a drink, you can feel a sudden urge to smoke. And you’re just as good at talking yourself into having one as you were at never having one again.
It only takes three days for your body to completely eliminate all of the nicotine in your system, and this is why quitting ‘cold turkey’ is often recommended. But you can still experience cravings like this for weeks, months, and even years after your “last” cigarette.
This is because your brain, even at the biological level, is constantly learning through associations. Whether you’ve smoked five cigarettes or five thousand, each one has served as a lesson. Nicotine has taught your brain to associate smoking with a form of psychological relief, based on the way it activates your reward pathway.
So when you’re finishing your lunch, your brain lights up thinking ‘I should have a cigarette now,’ and your brain is very efficient at creating and maintaining these associations, which is what’s responsible for the high relapse rates among those attempting to quit.
While products like nicotine patches and gum can help you through the withdrawal period, you’re left to rely on your willpower alone when it comes to facing the way your brain has learned to need cigarettes. Nicotine substitution methods like the patch have a success rate of only 9% — over 90% of users go back to cigarettes within six months.
The Power of Aversion
Aversion conditioning interrupts this reinforcement loop by adding an unpleasant factor to these associations. A negative consequence of smoking a cigarette changes the way your brain works.
In one scientific study, following five days of pairing shocks with cigarette smoking, 61% of subjects successfully quit — maintaining total abstinence from cigarettes over a year after the trial. Beforehand, these subjects smoked an average of 32 cigarettes per day, and 80% had tried to quit in the past.
In another study published by the British Medical Journal, 70% of subjects were able to quit smoking. In fact, when doing research for Pavlok, we found 21 other scientific studies in which people were able to quit everything from smoking to nail-biting. What did they all have in common? Aversion therapy.
Scientists have been using electric stimuli for over 50 years in experiments to end bad habits. This technology has always been limited to research studies – until now.
How to Quit Smoking in 5 Days with Pavlok
Inspired by this research, we created Pavlok, the first wearable device that has been shown to help people quit smoking. We actually recreated the aforementioned study from 1970 using Pavlok and the results were nearly identical: 70% of test subjects using Pavlok were able to quit smoking.
Ironically the New York Times–the same publication that talks about how difficult it is to quit smoking–covered Pavlok’s unique ability to help its customers quit smoking.
A great example of Pavlok’s success in quitting smoking is Marty, who was a pack-a-day smoker for over seven years. He used Pavlok to shock himself until his cravings naturally subsided.
Day 1: Set Your Intentions
- Commit to Quit: Discover the power of intention and establish a strong resolve to quit smoking.
- Understand Your Triggers: Identify the situations, emotions, and habits that trigger your smoking cravings.
- Using Pavlok: Shock yourself using modest intensity the second you have the urge to smoke. Even if you still pick up a vape or cigarette, keep reinforcing that negative stimulation every time.
Day 2: Break the Routine
- Rethink Your Routine: Uncover the smoking routines and rituals that keep you trapped in the cycle of addiction.
- Replace the Habit: Explore healthier alternatives and develop new routines to replace the smoking habit.
- Using Pavlok: After getting familiar with the shock, start administering one for each inhale of your first cigarette of the day. Your desire for this primary cigarette is often the most habitual, and breaking this initial craving will have a huge impact on your ability to kick the habit for good.
Day 3: Conquer the Cravings
- Know Your Cravings: Gain insights into the science behind cravings and learn effective strategies to manage and overcome them.
- Build Resilience: Cultivate resilience and adopt coping mechanisms to navigate challenging moments when cravings arise.
- Using Pavlok: Start applying shocks in the same pattern whenever you go to light up for additional smokes. This pattern will start to train your brain to be more conscious of what you’re doing before you actually do it.
Day 4: Reinforce New Patterns
- Celebrate Milestones: Reflect on your progress and celebrate the small victories along your journey to becoming smoke-free.
- Positive Reinforcement: Discover the power of positive reinforcement and reward yourself for each day without smoking.
- Using Pavlok: Keep shocking and keep track of your progress in the app. Many Pavlok users report a rapid drop in daily tobacco use very soon after starting aversion sessions; if you experience this, you can advance to shocking yourself based on cravings alone.
Day 5: Embrace Your Smoke-Free Future
- Embrace the Benefits: Emphasize the numerous health benefits of quitting smoking and envision the positive impact on your life.
- Long-Term Strategies: Learn about the long-term strategies for maintaining your smoke-free lifestyle beyond the initial five days.
- Using Pavlok: Pavlok can continue to support you in staying smoke-free by reinforcing positive habits and providing ongoing accountability.
Quitting smoking is a significant achievement that requires determination and support. With Pavlok as your ally, you can break free from the grip of smoking addiction and embrace a healthier, smoke-free future.
By following this five-day plan, you’ll be well on your way to reclaiming control over your health and living life on your terms. Remember, you have the power to quit, and Pavlok is here to guide you every step of the way. 🚭